Tony Blair poised for major royal honour after knighthood
The former Labour Prime Minister is set to receive the Knighthood in a service on Monday, where he will be dubbed Sir Anthony Blair
Former Labour Prime Minister Tony Blair is set to accept a knighthood in a service at St George's Chapel, Windsor, on Monday.
In a recent statement from Buckingham Palace, they announced: "Members of the Royal Family will walk in procession to the Chapel, and after the Service, will depart by carriage for their return journey to the Castle.
"During the Service, The Duchess of Cornwall will be installed as a Royal Lady of the Order of the Garter.
"A Lady Companion, the Baroness Amos, and a Knight Compaion, Sir Anthony Blair, will also be installed."
A petition calling for the removal of the former Prime Minister's knighthood received over one million signatures earlier this year.
The ex-Labour leader, who was in power from 1997 to 2007, was given the title as the New Year's Honours were awarded.
Referencing his role in the Iraq War, the petition says the ex-PM is the "least deserving person" to get an honour,
In retaliation, No 10 said every prime minister before Sir Tony had received the same honour.
However, the spokesman added that such appointments were a matter for the Queen and the government had no involvement.
The petition, created by actor and presenter Angus Scott on the change.org website, accused Sir Tony of having "caused irreparable damage to both the constitution of the United Kingdom and to the very fabric of the nation's society" while in office.
"He was personally responsible for causing the death of countless innocent, civilian lives and servicemen in various conflicts. For this alone he should be held accountable for war crimes," it adds.
"Tony Blair is the least deserving person of any public honour, particularly anything awarded by Her Majesty the Queen."
Speculation has arisen as to whether Prince Andrew will be in attendance at the service, as he remains one of the Order's Knights.
This follows reports last week of the Duke's absence from Jubilee celebrations, due to a positive covid test.
The Duke stepped back from public duties in November 2019, after his interview with Newsnight's Emily Maitlis entirely focused on his connection to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.