Russia considering 'further steps' after accusing UK of carrying out Nord Stream 'terrorist act'

Russia's defence ministry claimed on Saturday that British navy personnel had blown up the Nord Stream pipelines in September

Published Last updated

Russia has said it is considering what "further steps" to take in connection with its allegation that Britain was responsible for an attack on the Nord Stream undersea gas pipelines.

Russia's defence ministry said on Saturday that British navy personnel had blown up the Nord Stream pipelines in September, an assertion that London said was false and designed to distract from Russian military failures in Ukraine.

"There is evidence that Britain is involved in sabotage ... a terrorist act against vital energy infrastructure," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters.

"Such actions cannot be put aside. Of course, we will think about further steps. It definitely cannot be left like this," Mr Peskov said.

Nord Stream
Nord Stream
Rishi Sunak
Rishi Sunak

The Kremlin has not provided evidence to support its claims Britain was behind the ruptures on the Nord Stream pipelines, which have threatened to put the multi-billion dollar gas link permanently out of use.

The Kremlin also said no decision had been taken on whether to repair the Russian-controlled pipelines.

Mr Peskov said the Kremlin was awaiting for an expert assessment of the damage and that no decisions had yet been taken on the future of Nord Stream 1 or Nord Stream 2.

Sweden last week ordered additional investigations to be carried out on the damage. Authorities in both Sweden and Denmark have concluded the gas leaks were caused by explosions, but have not said who might be responsible.

While the spokesman of Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said that Moscow's claim that Britain is to blame for damage to the Nord Stream gas pipelines is an attempt to distract from the situation in Ukraine and is part of the "Russian playbook".

"Obviously, we're carefully monitoring the situation, but it is right to not be drawn into these sorts of distractions which is part of the Russian playbook," Mr Sunak's spokesman told reporters.

"They continue their indiscriminate bombardment of civilians and attacks on civilian infrastructure. That is our focus, and we will continue to provide support so that they lose this illegal war."