Queen not appearing on Palace balcony for Jubilee 'solves problem of Prince Andrew and Prince Harry' says Angela Levin

The Queen has had mobility issues recently, leading her to pull out of several events over the last few months.

Published Last updated

The Queen not appearing on Buckingham Palace's balcony for her Platinum Jubilee celebrations would "solve the issue of Prince Andrew and Prince Harry" Angela Levin has said.

The Queen has had mobility issues recently, leading her to pull out of several events over the last few months.

Now, it has been rumoured she will not make a balcony appearance during her Platinum Jubilee.

Celebrations for the Queen’s historic Platinum Jubilee will centre on a festive four-day bank holiday weekend in June.

The royal extravaganza includes a live pop concert at Buckingham Palace, a carnival pageant on the streets of London, Jubilee lunches, and the lighting of beacons across the world.

The royals usually appear on the Buckingham Palace balcony and watch a flypast.
The royals usually appear on the Buckingham Palace balcony and watch a flypast.

The unprecedented anniversary, the first time a British monarch has reached a Platinum Jubilee on the throne, falls on Sunday February 6, the date the Queen acceded to the throne on the death of her father George VI in 1952.

The royals usually appear on the Buckingham Palace balcony and watch a flypast.

Royal commentator Angela Levin joined Stephen Dixon and Ellie Costello to reflect on reports the Queen may not appear on the balcony and said: “We think in our eyes that that’s absolutely vital, with the family around her, but I think if she can’t do it, nobody should do it.

“I don’t think they should do one without her, it’s her day, her opportunity to thank everybody.

“It would also solve the problem of Prince Andrew and Prince Harry, because there won’t be a balcony so they can’t be fighting for positions and pushing each other out the way!”

Royal commentator Angela Levin joined Stephen Dixon and Ellie Costello
Royal commentator Angela Levin joined Stephen Dixon and Ellie Costello

York City Council voted to remove Prince Andrew’s freedom of the city during a meeting earlier this week.

The title was presented to Andrew back in February 1987 as a wedding gift.

And now current York councillors have voted to remove the title, while also calling for the Duke of York title to be removed.

But a source said the Queen will not be removing the Duke of York name or any other titles.

They said: “The Queen certainly will not take any further action in that regard (of removing his titles).

“The Duke of York has stepped back from public life and already had a range of titles and associations removed and Her Majesty’s position has not deviated from that,” the source told the Mirror.