Prince Harry's beloved Invictus Games 'may not have much longer' after royal exit, commentator claims

Robert Jobson believes the situation would be different if Harry stayed as a 'full-time royal'

Published

The Invictus Games “may not have much longer”, a royal commentator has said.

The games, founded by Prince Harry, are due to take place in the Netherlands, between April 16 and April 22.

But while Robert Jobson admits “he’s a big fan of the games”, he fears that the event could be difficult to maintain following his royal exit.

Mr Jobson said: “You need an awful lot of money to do it and you need an awful lot of goodwill from governments and that's what he's got so far.

“Whether he can continue that without being a full-time member of the Royal Family, I don't know.

Prince Harry founded the Invictus Games
Prince Harry founded the Invictus Games
Harry and Meghan Markle will both attend this year's games
Harry and Meghan Markle will both attend this year's games

“It's one thing that I think he got absolutely right and if he'd stayed a full-time royal it could have run on and run on and been brilliant. I'm not sure how much longer it's got,” he told the Daily Mail.

His comments come after the Duke and Duchess made a surprise visit to the UK to visit the Queen on their way to the Netherlands.

The couple landed in their first visit in the UK for two years before heading to Windsor where they met her Majesty and Prince Charles.

They were spotted by visitors at Windsor, who were attending a traditional Maundy Thursday ceremony.

One stunned guest said: “I couldn’t believe it when I saw who it was. We waved and they waved back.

“They looked happy and relaxed and waved to everyone on the bus. Charles and the Queen were at Windsor Castle at the same time so they must have met them both.

“It was quite the sight. We knew we might see Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall at the ceremony but never believed we would bump in to Harry and Meghan," as quoted by the Sun.