Prince Andrew to make first official royal appearance since sex assault case settlement

A spokeswoman for the Duke of York confirmed Prince Andrew will be at a memorial service for Prince Philip

Published

The Duke of York will attend the memorial service for the Duke of Edinburgh on Tuesday, after Andrew paid millions out of court earlier this month to settle a civil sexual assault case.

The Queen and Philip’s second son will be among the congregation for the service which will pay tribute to Philip’s dedication to “family, nation and Commonwealth”, his contribution to public life and his steadfast support to his charities, Buckingham Palace has said.

Members of the Royal Family, more than 30 foreign royals, Philip's wider family and friends, and 500 representatives from his patronages and charities will gather in Westminster Abbey on Tuesday.

Prince Philip
Prince Philip

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are not returning from the US for the event.

Guests will include representatives from UK Government, the armed forces and the devolved administrations, realm High Commissioners, representatives of overseas territories, members of the Queen and the duke’s household, representatives from the duke’s regimental affiliations in the UK and the Commonwealth, as well as the clergy and other faiths.

A Buckingham Palace spokesperson said: “The service will give thanks for The Duke of Edinburgh’s dedication to family, nation and Commonwealth and recognise the importance of his legacy in creating opportunities for young people, promoting environmental stewardship and conservation, and supporting the armed forces.

“The service will in particular pay tribute to The Duke of Edinburgh’s contribution to public life and steadfast support for the over 700 charitable organisations with which His Royal Highness was associated throughout his life.”

The Westminster Abbey and the Chapel Royal Choirs will provide music during the service.