Premier League and EFL postpone weekend football matches after Queen Elizabeth II's death
The Premier League and EFL confirmed that they will be postponing matches scheduled for this weekend
Sporting bodies had been been told there is no obligation to cancel events following the death of Queen Elizabeth II on Thursday
Nevertheless, football fixtures scheduled for the weekend will be postponed – both in the Premier League and the EFL.
The Premier League said in a statement: “At a meeting this morning, Premier League clubs paid tribute to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. To honour her extraordinary life and contribution to the nation, and as a mark of respect, this weekend’s Premier League match round will be postponed, including Monday evening’s game.”
The league’s chief executive Richard Masters said: “We and our clubs would like to pay tribute to Her Majesty’s long and unwavering service to our country. As our longest-serving monarch, she has been an inspiration and leaves behind an incredible legacy following a life of dedication.
“This is a tremendously sad time for not just the nation but also for the millions of people around the world who admired her, and we join together with all those in mourning her passing.”
The EFL’s statement read: “Further to discussions on Friday morning it has been determined that all EFL fixtures from September 9 and 10 will be postponed as a mark of respect by the national sport to the passing of HRH Queen Elizabeth II.
“This is aligned with the approach that the Premier League and the FA will take with their competitions this weekend.
“Further information, in respect of how football, clubs and their supporters will commemorate Her Majesty’s reign will be confirmed at an appropriate point.
“Details regarding rearranged games will be announced in due course.”
Matches in the National League have also been postponed.
A league statement said: “Firstly, the National League sends sincere condolences of all Member Clubs on the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II to His Majesty King Charles III and the further Royal Family.
“Further to this morning’s statement by Debbie Hewitt, chair of The Football Association, all National League System, FA Trophy, and grassroots fixtures scheduled for this weekend will not take place as a mark of respect. The Queen was the FA’s patron, and Prince William is its President.
“At this moment National League fixtures will go ahead as planned from Monday September 12 onwards although we understand no sporting event of any kind will be permitted on the day of The Queen’s funeral.
“The decision to postpone this weekend’s fixtures is taken in line with guidance from the FA in consultation with the Department for Culture, Media and Sport. The League fully supports this stance.”