Police issue social media warning as four left in critical condition by crush at Brixton Academy - 'Extremely upsetting'

Police have urged people not to share
Police have urged people not to share "upsetting" videos on social media following a 'crush' at O2 Academy Brixton

Four people are in a critical condition after emergency services attended an incident at Brixton O2 Academy

Published Last updated

Police have urged people not to share "upsetting" footage on social media after four concert-goers were left in a critical condition by a crush at the O2 Academy.

Eight people were taken to hospital by ambulance after the incident in Brixton, London, occurred during a performance by Nigerian Afrobeats singer-songwriter Asake.

Emergency services attended the venue in Stockwell Road following reports shortly after 9.30pm on Thursday of injuries after “a large crowd attempted to gain entry without tickets”.

Scotland Yard said officers, London Ambulance Service and London Fire Brigade attended the scene and found “a number of people with injuries believed to have been caused by crushing”.

Police are investigating the incident after four people were left in a critical condition
Police are investigating the incident after four people were left in a critical condition

The Metropolitan Police said two people who were less seriously injured were also treated at the scene.

Lambeth Police are urgently investigating what happened in the “extremely upsetting incident”. No arrests have been made.

Metropolitan Police Gold Commander Ade Adelekan has urged people to “be sensible about what they share” on social media and “not to post material that will be upsetting to those affected by this incident”.

He also said that, where force has been used by officers, “those officers know they have to be accountable for their actions”, adding that the Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards will look at all material, including body-worn video footage from those at the scene.

Following a cancellation announcement made on stage during the concert, the crowd were told the show had been stopped due to a breach of the doors, according to a report by The Mirror.

Footage posted online shows huge crowds outside the venue with many filming the scene alongside content inside the O2 Academy of people booing when an announcement was made from the stage saying the show was being closed.

One of the crush victims told the BBC: "I couldn't breathe and I completely passed out. I thought I was dead."

The woman, who was taken to hospital with suspected internal bleeding, said: "I took my last breath and I could not get any more oxygen. I was so scared."

The woman, from Battersea in south London, suffered skinned knees and a black eye. She said she was still in disbelief about what had happened.

Police remain at the scene at the O2 Academy Brixton following the incident
Police remain at the scene at the O2 Academy Brixton following the incident

Mr Adelekan said: “This is an extremely upsetting incident which has left four people critically ill in hospital. My thoughts and prayers are with them and their families.

“A police investigation has been launched, and it will be as thorough and as forensic as necessary to establish exactly what happened last night.

“The scene will be examined by specialist officers, CCTV will be viewed, every witness that we can make contact with will be spoken to, and all other lines of inquiry will be followed.

“Officers are remaining in the area to provide reassurance to the local community in and around Brixton. If you have any information or concerns, please speak with them.”

Police have appealed for witnesses to get in touch and anyone with mobile phone footage that might be helpful to make contact through @MetCC on Twitter.