Police hunting group of migrants after boat beached at Kent this morning

Police and border force officers continue to search a local campsite

Published

Police and Border Force officers are hunting a group of migrants after a small boat beached on the Kent coast this morning.

At least 30 people were found wandering in the Dymchurch area, west of Dover after the partially deflated small boat was discovered washed up the local beach.

Dozens of people were seen leaving the boat and disappearing into the village.

A Border Force chartered bus has picked up around 30, but police and Border Force officers continue to search the area around a local campsite where locals spotted a group of suspected migrants.

The boat beached near Dover this morning
The boat beached near Dover this morning

This morning's beaching is one of several sightings that Border Force and RNLI lifeboats have responded to today.

It comes as GB News can reveal 290 small boats have crossed the English Channel so far this year.

Since the start of the year, more than 10,000 people have paid criminal gangs to make the crossing.

Despite poor weather conditions for large parts of April and May, the figure for those making the voyage is far higher than the numbers who crossed in the same period last year.

Police Officers investigating the migrants searching a campsite
Police Officers investigating the migrants searching a campsite

Yesterday, 198 people were pulled from four small boats off Dover and Dungeness.

Around 50 people were onboard each of the small makeshift inflatables.

On Tuesday, 335 people onboard 10 small boats attempted the hazardous journey.

Two boats got into difficulties and 86 people were rescued on the French side of the Channel and returned to shore.

249 people made it to Dover after being picked up onboard the remaining 8 small inflatables in UK waters.

They were taken to Dover harbour for processing, before entering the UK asylum system.

Up to 500 people have crossed the English Channel so far this week, after poor weather in recent days forced a temporary halt to people smuggling activities.

On Tuesday, the Home Office confirmed that the first group of asylum seekers had been informed they are due to be put on a flight to Rwanda on 14 June.

It follows an announcement by Prime Minister Boris Johnson in April that the UK had struck a deal with the Rwandan government to take an undisclosed number of asylum seekers.As part of the deal, the UK has agreed to pay the government in Kigali £120 million initially.

More money will be paid for each person sent, to help cover the cost of their accommodation and integration into Rwandan society.

Although the Home Secretary has said she is determined to ensure the first group of asylum seekers fly out on 14 June, the Home Office said it expects a number of legal challenges will be lodged to try to halt the flight.