Nick Kyrgios charged with common assault as tennis star summonsed to court
The Australian Capital Territory Police say the charge relates to an alleged incident in December last year
Wimbledon quarter-finalist Nick Kyrgios has been summonsed to court in Australia next month to face a charge of common assault, the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) Police said.
The world number 40, who is due to play in the quarter-finals at Wimbledon on Wednesday, will appear at the Australia Capital Territory (ACT) Magistrates’ Court at 9.30am on August 2, according to court listings.
A police statement said: “ACT Policing can confirm a 27-year-old Watson man is scheduled to face the ACT Magistrates court on the 2nd of August in relation to one charge of common assault following an incident in December 2021.”
His barrister Jason Moffett said the charge was “in the context of a domestic relationship”.
He said: “The nature of the allegation is serious, and Mr Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously,
"Given the matter is before the court ... he doesn't have a comment at this stage, but in the fullness of time we'll issue a media release," he told the Canberra Times in Australia.