Migrant crisis: Four struck by train, killing one

A delayed Eurostar train heads for France through Folkestone in Kent to France. Today four men have been struck by a train in Calais.
A delayed Eurostar train heads for France through Folkestone in Kent to France. Today four men have been struck by a train in Calais.

GB News has been told that all four victims are from Eritrea and had been walking along the line between Calais and Dunkirk when they were hit by the train

Published

A group of migrants have been struck by a train near the French port of Calais, killing one and injuring three others.

GB News has been told that all four victims are from Eritrea and had been walking along the line between Calais and Dunkirk when they were hit by the train.

Frank Dhersin, vice president of the Hauts-de-France region, said those hurt were being treated for multiple injuries.

One of the injured is reported to be in a life threatening condition.

Train operator SNCF said rail traffic was suspended on the Calais-Dunkirk line into Friday morning.

It is the latest tragedy to strike the growing band of migrants gathering in north west France, ahead of attempts to illegally cross the English Channel in small boats or in the back of lorries.

French authorities confirmed the death of another migrant near Calais on Thursday.

The Maritime Prefecture of the Channel and the North Sea said one person was found dead on the beach at Wissant, between Calais and Boulogne.

A small boat full of water was found nearby, along with two other migrants, who were taken to hospital suffering from severe hypothermia.

The day before, a migrant died after being rescued by French authorities near Dunkirk.

Home Secretary Priti Patel has repeatedly warned of the dangers of trying to cross the Channel in boats.
Home Secretary Priti Patel has repeatedly warned of the dangers of trying to cross the Channel in boats.

The man in his 30s was one of around 40 people on a small boat, which capsized near the port.

Dunkirk’s main prosecutor said many of those onboard were not wearing life jackets.

Another migrant was reported missing in the same incident, but a full search and rescue operation was called off after failing to find them.

A manslaughter investigation has been launched into the Dunkirk deaths by French prosecutors.

UK Home Secretary Priti Patel has repeatedly warned of the dangers of trying to cross the English Channel by small boats and vowed to crack down on the illegal people smuggling operations.

But this week has seen many more small boats making the hazardous voyage.

On Tuesday, more than 450 people were intercepted in 15 small boats in UK waters.

It took the total who have made the crossing by small boats this year to more than 20,200; well over double the number intercepted for the whole of last year.

On Wednesday, GB News understands around 800 more made the crossing, but the Home Office has not yet released an official figure.