Met Police officer suspended from duty after being charged with rape following alleged incident on Brighton beach
Laurence Knight, 33, will appear at Brighton Magistrates’ Court on June 23
Metropolitan Police officer Laurence Knight, 33, has been charged with rape following an alleged incident on Brighton beach, Sussex Police said.
Mr Knight was arrested on July 28 last year after a woman reported being raped on Brighton beach 11 days earlier, Sussex Police said.
In a statement, the force added" “Laurence Knight, 33, who is a Met Police officer, was arrested on suspicion of rape on July 28 (2021) and released on bail.
"On May 27 (2022) he was summoned to appear at Brighton Magistrates’ Court on June 23 to face a charge of rape.
“The officer was not on duty at the time of the reported offence.
“The victim will continue to receive support from specialist officers throughout the judicial process.”
The Metropolitan Police said Mr Knight, a sergeant attached to Met Detention, had been suspended from duty.
Chief Superintendent Pete Gardner, in charge of Met Detention, said: “We know people will rightly be concerned to hear about this very serious charge against a serving police officer.
“We absolutely share that concern and I am thankful to Sussex Police for their thorough investigation and the continued specialist support they are providing to the victim.
“The Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards are fully aware and misconduct matters will be dealt with once the criminal proceedings have concluded. The officer is suspended from duty.”
Scotland Yard made a mandatory referral to the Independent Office for Police Conduct, which determined the misconduct investigation should be led by the Met.