Manchester Arena bomber's brother convicted in absence at inquiry after leaving the country last year
Ismail Abedi received a notice requiring him to attend the public inquiry into the Manchester Arena attack but failed to turn up
The elder brother of the Manchester Arena bomber has been convicted in his absence of failing to appear at the public inquiry into the attack.
Ismail Abedi, 28, whose whereabouts are currently unknown, had refused to co-operate with the public inquiry but was ordered by the chairman, Sir John Saunders, to attend to give evidence.
At Manchester Magistrates’ Court on Thursday, district judge Jack McGarva found him guilty of failing without reasonable excuse to do something required by a section 21 notice.
The court heard Abedi left the country on August 29 last year despite having received the notice requiring him to attend the public inquiry in October.
District Judge McGarva retired to consider what sentence Abedi would be given.
Mr McGarva adjourned the case to August 2 and said if the defendant did not attend a warrant would be issued for his arrest.
He said: “The court is bound to consider passing a custodial sentence.
“There is a very high level of public interest in ensuring people co-operate with public inquiries.”
Abedi was arrested and questioned for two weeks following the bombing, but wasn't charged with any offence.