Man charged following stabbing of two police officers in Leicester Square

Rahman will appear in custody at Wimbledon Magistrates’ Court on Monday, 19 September.


A man has been charged after an attack which took place in Leicester Square on Friday.

Mohammed Rahman, 24, has been charged with attempted murder and with causing grievous bodily harm with intent following the stabbings of two police officers in Leicester Square on Friday, the Metropolitan Police said.

A statement from the Metropolitan Police read: "Mohammed Rahman, 24, (31.12.97) of Westbourne Park Road, W2 was charged on Saturday, 17 September, with attempted murder and Section 18 GBH with intent.

"The attempted murder charge relates to a male police constable, the GBH to a female police constable.

"He was also charged with assault (ABH) and two counts of threatening a person in a public place with a bladed article. These charges relate to three other police constables.

"In addition, he was charged with robbery and possession of a bladed article.

"Rahman will appear in custody at Wimbledon Magistrates’ Court on Monday, 19 September."

One of the two officers stabbed in central London on Friday has been discharged from hospital, the Metropolitan Police said as detectives renewed their appeal for witnesses.

Scotland Yard said a young female officer who suffered potentially life-changing injuries after being knifed in the arm by a “frenzied individual” in Leicester Square has been discharged.

Meanwhile, a male officer who was stabbed three times in the neck and once in the chest remains under medical supervision, the Met said.

The 24-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm and assaulting an emergency worker on Friday.

A knife was recovered at the scene, and the Met do not believe the incident was terror related.

The officers – both attached to the Met’s Central West Command Unit responsible for policing Westminster – were carrying out routine duties and were not part of the wider policing operation in place following the death of the Queen.

Detective Chief Superintendent Owain Richards, from the Central West Command Unit, said: “Every day, police officers go out on the streets to keep the communities of London safe.

“In doing so they often have to put themselves in the way of danger, putting their own welfare at risk in order to protect others.

“The actions of these two officers, and their colleagues, exemplifies the key value of courage that runs through the core of the Metropolitan Police and they will be offered all the support they need as they begin their recovery from this terrifying incident.”