London fire believed to have been started by man charging electric scooter in flat
A male is believed to have poured water on the scooter when it caught fire in Shepherd's Bush
The blaze in Shepherd's Bush is believed to have been started by a resident charging their electric scooter, a council leader has said.
Hammersmith and Fulham Borough Labour councillor Stephen Cowan said a male individual was understood to have then poured water on the vehicle when it caught fire causing “billowing smoke”.
Mr Cowan said: “What I’ve been advised is that there was a fire started early in the morning by an electric scooter. They were charging an electric scooter in the flat, it caught fire, the individual had the presence of mind to pull the plug on it, and then he threw water on it.
“That caused billowing smoke. Smoke went everywhere. Automatically the fire alarms kicked in.”
Residents were evacuated from the high-rise block in west London, after firefighters battled the blaze on Tuesday morning.
London Fire Brigade said eight fire engines and around 60 firefighters attended the scene in Queensdale Crescent.
London Ambulance Service said two ambulances and a Hazardous Area Response Team attended, with one person taken to hospital and two assessed at the scene.
In a statement from the scene, station commander David Bracewell said: “Firefighters dealt with a fire on the 12th floor of a tower block in W11. Three people from the affected flat left before the brigade arrived. A number of other residents evacuated the building.
“Firefighters led six residents to safety via an internal staircase. Further residents who were not affected by fire, heat or smoke were advised to remain in their flats.
“In the early stages we used new technology called 9Eye that enabled a caller to send live stream videos of the incident straight into the brigade’s 999 call centre.
“We’ve also used a 32m turntable ladder to put water on the outside of the building.”