Girl, 3, died in Asda from choking on 'foreign object' in 'tragic accident'

Poppy Reardon, 3, was shopping with her parents for a holiday they were due to go on the next day

Published

A three-year-old girl died in a “tragic accident” after choking on a “foreign object” in an Asda, an inquest has heard.

Poppy Reardon, 3, was shopping at Asda in Aintree with her parents, Rhian Reardon and Conor Mulhaney, for a holiday they were due to go on the next day.

Poppy was being carried by her father and chewing on part of his top when it came loose and she "accidentally asphyxiated”, Coroner Julie Goulding said.

An off duty paramedic who was at the store, David Fitzmurphy, was told by his partner that there was a baby “going blue”.

Fitzmurphy tried to save her by performing mouth-to-mouth but was unsuccessful.

Poppy received CPR and adrenaline shots at Alder Hey Hospital.
Poppy received CPR and adrenaline shots at Alder Hey Hospital.

An off-duty operating department practitioner also attempted CPR on Poppy and a first aider was called.

At Alder Hey Hospital she received CPR and adrenaline shots but it “was not possible to resuscitate her” and there were "no signs of life” according to Ms. Goulding.

Ms. Goulding noted that the top copied with both UK and international standards, although it was not featured on any children’s clothing manufactured by Nike.