Father of three murdered by boy, 15, after confronting group of youths shouting at his daughter

The boy was already subject to a court order relating to previous criminal activity

Published Last updated

A 15-year-old boy has been found guilty of murdering a father of three who was stabbed to death outside his home.

James Markham, 45, was killed last August after confronting youths who were shouting at his daughter outside their home in Chingford in Essex.

A post-mortem revealed Mr Markham was stabbed twice, once in the neck and and a fatal stab wound to his lung.

The boy, who was 14 at the time of the murder, was already subject to a court order relating to previous criminal activity.

He was also found guilty of possession of an offensive weapon following the conclusion of his trial at the Old Bailey.

During the trial, the court heard how police officers who arrived at the scene administered first aid to Mr Markham but despite their efforts and those of emergency paramedics, he died at the scene.

James Markham
James Markham

Detectives from the Met's Specialist Crime team established that Mr Markham, who worked as a stone mason, had returned home on August 9th last year and had become involved in an argument with a group of youths who had confronted his daughter.

Officers say he attempted to scare off the group with a drill bit but was stabbed by one of the youths.

Detective Inspector John Marriott, Specialist Crime, said: "James was a loving family man who leaves behind a partner and three children.

"That day they were met with a horrific scenario that no family should have to endure. I hope this conviction will provide them with some small measure of comfort as they continue to grieve James.

"The teenager in this incident was subject to a Criminal Behaviour Order and should never have been in the area. He had flouted it on a number of occasions.

"The knife he used was never recovered, indicating he went to some lengths to try to distance himself from this horrific crime.

"But my team worked to collate a wealth of witness, CCTV and forensic evidence proving his guilt. He will now spend a substantial amount of time behind bars.

"I'd like to thank the skill and determination of my team in working to deliver justice to James's family. Our thoughts remain with them."

The teenager is due to be sentenced in September.