Donald Trump says Twitter in ‘sane hands’ after Elon Musk takeover

Donald Trump did not say whether he would return to the platform that banned him

Published Last updated

Donald Trump says Twitter is in “sane hands” after Elon Musk officially completed his takeover of the social media platform.

But in a statement, Mr Trump did not say whether he would return to his account on the platform that banned him.

The former US President said he thought his own Truth Social media platform "looks and works better."

"I LOVE TRUTH," Mr Trump wrote in a post on his platform.

Elon Musk
Elon Musk

Mr Trump was banned from Twitter after the deadly January 6, 2021 attack on the US Capitol.

Mr Musk has said he would reinstate Mr Trump's account, but the former President previously said he would not return.

The Tesla CEO appeared to confirm media reports of his takeover, tweeting on Friday morning: “the bird is freed”.

A US court had set a deadline of Friday for Mr Musk boss to complete his £38 billion acquisition of the platform.

Twitter has not yet published any further statement confirming the deal, but several senior figures and board members, including Brett Taylor, who had served as the company’s chairman, have changed their social media profiles to reflect that they no longer work for the company.

According to reports, Mr Musk’s first act upon taking charge of the company was to dismiss chief executive Parag Agrawal, chief financial officer Ned Segal and general counsel and head of safety, Vijaya Gadde.

Mr Musk had publicly criticised both Mr Agrawal and Ms Gadde over Twitter policy in the months leading up to the takeover.

His chief criticism of the social media platform has been its policing of “free speech” – he has said he believes Twitter has been overzealous in its content moderation.

Mr Musk is expected to speak to Twitter employees directly on Friday, according to an internal memo cited in several media outlets