Dominic Raab plans to appeal decision recommending Baby P's mum should be released

Deputy Prime Minister and Justice Secretary Dominic Raab and Tracey Connelly
Deputy Prime Minister and Justice Secretary Dominic Raab and Tracey Connelly

Tracey Connelly was jailed at the Old Bailey in 2009 for causing or allowing the death of her 17-month-old son Peter

Published Last updated

Justice Secretary Dominic Raab has told the House of Commons he plans to appeal against the Parole Board’s decision that recommends Baby P’s mother Tracey Connelly should be released from prison.

Connelly was jailed at the Old Bailey in 2009 for causing or allowing the death of her 17-month-old son Peter at their home in Tottenham, north London, on August 3, 2007.

Known publicly as Baby P, he had suffered more than 50 injuries and was on the "at-risk" register.

He'd received 60 visits from social workers, police and health professionals over eight months.

A series of reviews identified missed opportunities for officials to save the toddler’s life had they reacted properly to warning signs.

Connelly admitted the offence and was handed a sentence of imprisonment for public protection (IPP) with a minimum term of five years.

Peter, publicly known as Baby P
Peter, publicly known as Baby P
Baby P's mum, Tracey Connelly
Baby P's mum, Tracey Connelly

The Parole Board said on Wednesday: “After considering the circumstances of her offending and time on licence, the progress made while in custody, the evidence presented at the hearing and the recommendations of the witnesses, the panel was satisfied that Ms Connelly was suitable for release.”

Mr Raab was represented throughout the review and his representative “confirmed that this recommendation was accepted”, the report said.

The spokesperson continued: “Parole Board decisions are solely focused on what risk a prisoner could represent to the public if released and whether that risk is manageable in the community.

“Parole reviews are undertaken thoroughly and with extreme care. Protecting the public is our number one priority.”

Connelly will be subject to restrictions on her movements, activities and who she contacts, and faces 20 extra licence conditions.

They include living at a specified address, being supervised by probation, wearing an electronic tag, adhering to a curfew and having to disclose her relationships.

Her use of the internet and a phone will be monitored and she has been told she cannot go to certain places to “avoid contact with victims and to protect children”.

This is Connelly’s fourth review by the Parole Board since she was jailed. The decision was meant to be made last year, but had been delayed for more reports and information.

Connelly was let out on licence in 2013 but was recalled to prison in 2015 for breaching her parole conditions.

The Parole Board considered her case for a third time in 2019 following previous reviews in 2015 and 2017, and refused to either release her or move her to an open prison.

In 2020 she lost an appeal against the latest Parole Board decision not to release her.