Brixton Academy: Second woman dies following crowd crush at London concert

A second woman has died following a crowd crush in at Brixton Academy
A second woman has died following a crowd crush in at Brixton Academy

A second woman, who was working as security has died after being injured at a crush at a gig at Brixton O2 Academy


Gabrielle Hutchinson, 23, has become the second woman to die following a crowd crush outside the O2 Academy in Brixton.

A total of eight people were taken to hospital after a crowd attempted to gain entry without tickets during a performance by Nigerian Afrobeats singer-songwriter Asake.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed on Saturday that another woman, Rebecca Ikumelo, 33 had also died after being injured during the incident.

Officers say Ms Hutchinson, who was working as security at the venue, died in hospital in the early hours of Monday morning.

Chief Superintendent Colin Wingrove of the Metropolitan Police said: “It is devastating news that a second person has lost their life following the events on Thursday. I wish to express my heartfelt condolences to Gabrielle’s family at this unimaginably difficult time.”

The force said the three women critically injured in the crush were all in the foyer of the building.

A 21-year-old woman remains in a critical condition.

Ahead of the gig, Asake, whose real name is Ahmed Ololade, had posted on Twitter asking fans not to come to the venue unless they had a valid ticket.

A 21-year-old remains in hospital in a critical condition
A 21-year-old remains in hospital in a critical condition

In a statement on Instagram he said: “My heart is with those who were injured last night and caused any form of discomfort. I pray you get well soonest.

“I am also in the process of reaching out to individuals.

“I still do not have the full brief from the venue management themselves as to what led to the disruption at the entrance of the Brixton Academy, but we are thankful that all was peaceful at the end.

“For my people who enjoyed the beginning of my performance, I am sorry that it was cut short.

“Thank you for your unbelievable love, London. I love you too much! I’m looking forward to seeing you again in a bit!”

The concert was the third of three sold-out dates at the 4,921-standing capacity venue and concluded a run of UK dates.

Footage posted online showed large crowds outside the building on Thursday night, with many people holding up mobile phones and filming the scene.

Scotland Yard said police officers, London Ambulance Service and London Fire Brigade attended the scene and found “a number of people with injuries believed to have been caused by crushing”.