Authorities responding to serious incident at the Channel migrant processing centre at Dover harbour.
Border Force and military personnel can be seen extinguishing a blaze at the perimeter of the facility.
Incendiary devices have been thrown at a Border Force migrant centre in Dover.
Kent Police were called at 11.22am on Sunday to The Viaduct, where two to three incendiary devices had caused a fire.
A suspect was identified and located at a nearby petrol station where he was confirmed dead, police said.
The Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit attended the location to ensure there were no further threats and another device was found and confirmed safe within the suspect’s vehicle, police said.
Two people inside the migrant centre reported minor injuries and the site remained open although 700 people were moved to Manston asylum processing centre in Kent for safety reasons during the initial stage of the investigation, police said.
A Reuters photographer said a man threw petrol bombs with fireworks attached before killing himself.
The attacker was described as a white man wearing a striped top, who drove up to the centre in a white Seat four-wheel drive vehicle, the agency reported.
A local MP later said the individual had taken their own life.
By the afternoon the scene had been cordoned off and forensic teams were working in the area.
The incident came after almost 1,000 migrants arrived in the UK after crossing the Channel on Saturday.
A Home Office spokesman said: “We are aware of an incident at Western Jet Foil, Dover, and police are in attendance.
“It would not be appropriate to comment further at this stage.”
Kent Fire and Rescue Service confirmed its crews had put out fires.
Natalie Elphicke, the Conservative MP for Dover, said she was “deeply shocked”.
Ms Elphicke also said: “I think it is fair to say that tensions have been running high over the last period.
“And indeed, I’d raised my concerns about that with the immigration minister earlier this week.”
Home Secretary Suella Braverman tweeted: “There was a distressing incident in Dover earlier today.
“I am receiving regular updates on the situation.
“My thoughts are with those affected, the tireless Home Office staff and police responding.
“We must now support those officers as they carry out their investigation.”
Immigration minister Robert Jenrick will visit both Dover and the Manston processing centre to “take charge of the situation”, Ms Elphicke said.
Later, Kent Police confirmed the death of the suspect and that there was a 4th explosive device inside his vehicle.
In a statement they said: "Kent Police was called at 11.22am on Sunday 30 October 2022 to a Home Office immigration premises at The Viaduct in Dover.
"Officers established that two to three incendiary devices had been thrown outside and into the premises by a single suspect who arrived at the scene in a car. Two people have reported minor injuries from inside the property.
"The suspect was identified, and very quickly located at a nearby petrol station, and confirmed deceased.The Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit attended the location to ensure there were no further threats.
"A further device was found and confirmed safe within the suspect’s vehicle.The site remained open, however around 700 suspected migrants were relocated to Manston to ensure safety during the initial phase of the police investigation.Enquiries into the incident remain ongoing by Kent detectives."