Archie Battersbee's parents given go-ahead to appeal decision to turn off life-support
It comes after a High Court judge concluded that the 12-year-old boy was dead
The parents of a 12-year-old Archie Battersbee, who is at the centre of a life-support treatment fight, have been given the go-ahead to take the case to the Court of Appeal, after a High Court judge concluded that the youngster was dead.
Archie's mum, Hollie Dance said she found him unconscious with a ligature over his head on April 7.
The youngster has not regained consciousness.
Mrs Justice Arbuthnot recently ruled that doctors could lawfully stop providing treatment to Archie after considering evidence at a trial in the Family Division of the High Court in London.
Ms Dance and Archie's dad, Paul Battersbee, from Southend, Essex, wanted Court of Appeal judges to consider the case.
And on Monday, Mrs Arbuthnot gave Ms Dance and Mr Battersbee permission to take the case to the Court of Appeal.
Archie's parents are being supported by a campaign organisation called the Christian Legal Centre.
Andrea Williams, chief executive of the centre said after Mrs Justice Arbuthnot’s appeal decision: “A ruling that says death can be declared on the balance of probabilities sets a troubling precedent for our society and must be appealed.
“This case is the first of its kind in an English court and has raised significant moral, legal and medical questions as to when a person is dead.
“Archie’s parents believe that the time and manner of his death should be determined by God and claim a right to pray for a miracle until and unless that happens. That belief must be respected.
“The ideology of ‘dignity in death’, meaning a planned time of death as fixed and carried out by the doctors, should not be brutally imposed on families who do not believe in it.
“We will continue to stand with the family as they appeal the ruling and continue to pray for a miracle.”
Ms Dance had previously vowed "not to give up on Archie" following the High Court ruling.
Addressing crowds outside court, she highlighted her disappointment in the outcome of the decision, alongside plans to appeal the decision.
She said: “I am devastated and extremely disappointed by the judge’s ruling after weeks of fighting a legal battle when I wanted to be at my little boy’s bedside.
“This case raises the significant moral, legal and medical questions as to when a person is dead. What does this ruling today tell us about where our society is at? We intend to appeal and will not give up on Archie.”