Another council LOSES legal bid to stop hotel housing asylum seekers
Three other councils have been denied similar injunctions
Another council has lost a bid for a High Court injunction temporarily banning the use of a hotel to accommodate asylum seekers.
Fenland District Council brought legal action following plans to use the Rose and Crown Hotel in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire to temporarily house asylum seekers, arguing it would be a change of use into a hostel.
The council were refused an urgent injunction earlier this month and returned to court on Wednesday, arguing there were concerns about the safety and welfare of the people accommodated in the hotel.
The High Court in London heard that around 21 people at a time are staying at the three-star hotel, including some from the Manston processing centre in Kent.
Lawyers for the council previously said that Wisbech had “significant deprivation”, “organised crime” and a “history of migrant exploitation”.
However, in a ruling on Friday, Mr Justice Holgate dismissed the council’s bid for a temporary injunction against the hotel’s operators and Home Office contractor Serco.
He said: “It is not said that the hotel is unsuitable, the point made by the claimant is that the town is.”
The judge added that “a generalised point is made with very little detail” regarding potential migrant exploitation.
Mr Justice Holgate continued: “No real link has been put forward between a problem that exists on a national scale and the accommodation of asylum seekers in a hotel.”
The judge later said that some of the people who have been accommodated at the hotel had previously stayed at Yarl’s Wood Immigration Removal Centre in Bedfordshire – which “shows that the system is still under considerable pressure, if not stress”.
Mr Justice Holgate concluded that granting the injunction “would not be commensurate with the level of harm on the evidence before the court the claimant relies upon”.
“The conclusion I have come to is that the application for an interim injunction should be refused,” the judge added.
Friday’s ruling comes after three other councils were denied similar injunctions.
On November 11, both Ipswich Borough Council and East Riding of Yorkshire Council lost bids to extend interim injunctions preventing asylum seekers from being housed in hotels in their areas.
Stoke-on-Trent City Council was also refused an extension on a temporary injunction on 2 November.
Suella Braverman FORCED police watchdog head to RESIGN over ‘historic allegation’
Animal Rebellion THROWN OUT of London restaurant owned by viral chef Salt Bae
MPs bravely reveal personal pain of child loss ahead of new bill aiming to support bereaved parents - 'A little bit of you dies'
World Cup legend Pele receiving palliative care
Just Stop Oil protesters occupy beds in Harrods over rising energy bills
A third teenager has been charged over the murder of two 16-year-old boys in south-east London
Metropolitan Police and other emergency services step up terrorism response strategy with live-play scenario
Strep A: Health experts investigating cases of infection after deaths of six young children
How to watch GB News: We're live on TV on Virgin channel 604, Freesat 216, Sky 512, Freeview 236, YouView 236. Listen wherever you are on DAB+ Radio, or if you haven't already, just download the GB News App to watch live, get breaking news alerts and catch up with all our shows on the go!