87-year-old stabbed to death while riding a mobility scooter named as Thomas O'Halloran

A murder investigation is ongoing following the fatal incident

Published Last updated

The 87-year-old man stabbed to death while riding a mobility scooter in a “shocking act” of “unprovoked violence” has been named as Thomas O’Halloran, Metropolitan Police Chief Superintendent Sean Wilson said.

Scotland Yard has launched a murder investigation after an elderly man who had been riding a mobility scooter was stabbed to death in west London.

The incident occurred in Greenford, West London.
The incident occurred in Greenford, West London.

Police and paramedics were called to an address in Greenford after reports of a man had suffered stab injuries.

Doctors aboard the London Air Ambulance were also called to the scene.

Despite the efforts of medics, an elderly man, believed to be in his 80s, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Thomas O'Halloran is said to have been well known in the area, and was regularly seen busking outside Greenford Station.

The OAP had been performing outside of the station in an effort to raise money for Ukrainian refugees, amid the country's war with Russia.

The police have issued a plea for assistance from the public with the case.

In an interview with reporters from the scene, Chief Superintendent Sean Wilson said: “Detectives from the Met’s specialist crime command, with the assistance of my officers, have been working tirelessly over the last 20 hours to understand what has happened and to identify who is responsible for this horrific crime.

“They have been following up a number of inquiries, including the reviewing of CCTV and forensic examination of the area, however, we do need your help.

“We are appealing to anybody with dashcam or cycle-helmet footage that might have captured this incident to get into contact with us.

“We believe that Mr O’Halloran was stabbed in Western Avenue shortly before 4pm yesterday, Tuesday August 16, before managing to travel 75 yards or so on his mobility scooter to Runnymede Gardens where he flagged down a member of public for help.

“So please, if you saw anything, we do need to hear from you.”